Garst Mill Kitchen Fire
CSVFD responded at about 2:30 p.m., on Sunday, September 22, 2019 to the Villages at Garst Creek apartment complex for the report of a commercial structure fire. First arriving crews from Station 3 found smoke coming from a second story apartment. The fire was brought under control in about 10 minutes. There was a fair amount of smoke and water damage to the apartment where the fire occurred and the apartment below. There were no injuries to people or pets. The apartment was occupied by two adults at the time of the fire. The fire was located on the stove top and did extend to the cabinets in the kitchen. . Units from Back Creek, Clearbrook, Bent Mountain and North County responded to the fire. The Roanoke County Fire Marshal’s Office was on scene and determined that the fire was caused by cooking. Damages are estimated to be about $30,000.CSVFD would like to remind everyone that any time you have anything on the stove, you should “stand by your pan”. The best way to put out a grease fire is to cover it with a lid that fits the pan.